Meditation Type: Breathwork
Best Used: To bring calm to the mind, body and nervous system
This technique is a go to for me when my mind/body/emotions are racing and I want to bring a state of calm into my field. This is also an awesome technique when encountered with a stressful situation (such as taking an ice bath!)
SOUNDING BREATH (Ujjayi)
- Sit in a comfortable position or lie down in Corpse Pose.
- Relax; close your eyes.
- Exhale completely through your nose; inhale slowly and deeply through your nose.
- As you inhale, slowly fill your abdomen and lungs while contracting your throat, making a soft hissing/humming sound.
- Slightly contract your throat again making the slight hissing/humming sound as you exhale through your nose, emptying your lungs completely.
- Repeat for 5 minutes to start, increasing to 30+ minutes over time.
- Work to get to a point where your inhale and your exhale are the same length.
- NOTE: If you feel like you sound like Darth Vader while doing this breathing technique, you are doing it correctly!
These can be repeated like a mantra over and over while doing the breath technique:
- I am at peace.
- All is well in my world.
- Calms the body and balances the nervous system
- Expels stale air from the lungs, purifying the respiratory system
- Relieves tension
- Calms emotions
- Slows the mind