Why Meditation? Current Research Confirms Its Positive Benefits
Reduces stress and anxiety
- Mindfulness meditation may ease anxiety, mental stress
- Meditation programs for psychological stress and well-being: A systematic review and meta-analysis
- Just 25 minutes of mindfulness meditation alleviates stress, study shows
- Mindfulness meditation training lowers biomarkers of stress response in anxiety disorder
- Workplace yoga And meditation can lower feelings of stress
Boosts creativity and problem solving
- Meditation makes you more creative, study suggests
- Can 10 minutes of meditation make you more creative?
Strengthens focus and attention span
- Just 10 minutes of meditation helps anxious people have better focus
- Losing focus? Studies say meditation may help
Creates strong social bonds and connectivity
- Open mind, open heart: An anthropological study of the therapeutics of meditation practice in the US
- Nine ways a meditating brain creates better relationships
- Reading people’s emotions, with meditation’s help
Aids in learning and memory recall
- Effects of a mindfulness meditation course on learning and cognitive performance among university students in Taiwan
- 6 Science-backed methods to improve your memory
Develops self-awareness and mindfulness
- Self-awareness, self-regulation, and self-transcendence (S-ART): a framework for understanding the neurobiological mechanisms of mindfulness
- Neural correlates of mindful self-awareness in mindfulness meditators and meditation-naïve subjects revisited
Helps nurture a sense of happiness
- A Ph.D. in happiness: What 10,000 hours of meditation actually does to your brain
- Meditation and happiness: Mindfulness and self-compassion may mediate the meditation–happiness relationship
- Exercise and meditation – together – help beat depression, Rutgers study finds
Supports health and immunity
- Meditation and yoga can ‘reverse’ DNA reactions which cause stress, new study suggests
- Mind-body therapies immediately reduce unmanageable pain in hospital patients
- Mindfulness meditation and the immune system: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials.
Improves sleep quality and rest
Additional Meditation Scientific Studies
- Meditation or exercise for preventing acute respiratory infection: a randomized controlled trial.
- Mindfulness training for smoking cessation: results from a randomized controlled trial.
- Beyond medications and diet: alternative approaches to lowering blood pressure: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.
- Mind-body practices: an alternative, drug-free treatment for smoking cessation? A systematic review of the literature.
- Meditative therapies for reducing anxiety: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
- Effect of mindfulness-based stress reduction vs cognitive behavioral therapy or usual care on back pain and functional limitations in adults with chronic low back pain: a randomized clinical trial.
- The emerging role of meditation in addressing psychiatric illness, with a focus on substance use disorders.
- Enhanced psychosocial well-being following participation in a mindfulness-based stress reduction program is associated with increased natural killer cell activity.
- Mindfulness training reduces the severity of irritable bowel syndrome in women: results of a randomized controlled trial.
- Current perspectives on the use of meditation to reduce blood pressure.
- Meditation programs for psychological stress and well-being: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Changes in spirituality partly explain health-related quality of life outcomes after Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction.
- A randomized controlled trial of mindfulness-based stress reduction to prevent flare-up in patients with inactive ulcerative colitis.
- Exploring age-related brain degeneration in meditation practitioners.
- The unique brain anatomy of meditation practitioners: alterations in cortical gyrification.
- A randomized controlled trial on effects of the transcendental meditation program on blood pressure, psychological distress, and coping in young adults.
- The effects of mind-body therapies on the immune system: meta-analysis.
- A randomized controlled trial of mindfulness meditation for chronic insomnia.
- Do mindfulness-based interventions reduce pain intensity? A critical review of the literature.
- A comparison of mindfulness-based stress reduction and an active control in modulation of neurogenic inflammation
- The neurobiology of meditation and its clinical effectiveness in psychiatric disorders.
- Brief meditation training induces smoking reduction.
- Mindful attention reduces neural and self-reported cue-induced craving in smokers.
- Mindfulness-meditation-based pain relief is not mediated by endogenous opioids.